Our website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to collect information about how you use this site to improve our service to you. By not accepting cookies some elements of the site, such as video, will not work. Please visit our Cookie Policy page for more information on how we use cookies.

I’ve been involved in a road traffic collision. What should I do?

First and foremost, if another person is hurt or has a suspected injury, make sure they are attended to and if necessary, call the emergency services on 999/112.

There are various types of road traffic collisions, ranging from material damage only to fatal collisions. Not every road incident may necessitate calling the Gardaí to the scene. Clearly for serious incidents or one where you suspect an offence has been disclosed, the Gardaí should be called on 999/112.

If you are involved in an road traffic collision, you must stop your vehicle and remain at the scene for a reasonable time. If anyone is injured or appears to need assistance, the driver of the vehicle must offer assistance. If vehicles are blocking the roadway or posing a danger to other road users, the roadway should be marked and the vehicle should then be removed as soon as possible.

If you are asked by a Garda, you must give your name and address, the address where the vehicle is kept, the name and address of the vehicle owner, the vehicle’s registration number and evidence of insurance, such as the name of your insurance company or a disc or motor insurance certificate. If there is no Garda at the scene, you must give this information to any person involved in the crash or, if requested, to an independent witness.

If you or another person is injured and there is no Garda at the scene, the accident must be reported to the nearest Garda station. If you fail to comply with the above requirements, with the intent of escaping civil or criminal liability, in situations where:

  • you know someone has been injured and needs medical attention, or
  • you know someone has been killed, or are reckless as to that fact, you may be convicted and receive a fine of up to €20,000 or a prison term of up to 10 years.

If the accident damages property only, and there is a Garda in the immediate vicinity, you must report it to the Garda. If there is no Garda available, you must provide this information to the owner or the person in charge of the property. If, for any reason, neither a Garda nor the owner is immediately available, you must give all relevant information at a Garda station as soon as reasonably possible.