Forms available for download
Information about the Carriage Office
The Carriage Office no longer deals with lost property. There are 5 designated Garda stations in the Dublin area that manage property that has been found in taxis. The stations are:
Irishtown: 01 666 9600
Store Street: 01 666 8000
Finglas: 01 666 7500
Tallaght: 01 666 6000
Shankill: 01 666 5900
Any person wishing to trace property left in a taxi should contact any of the above Garda stations or their local Garda station.
The Carriage Office provides services in the following areas:
- Licensing of large Public Service Vehicles (PSVs).
- The Taxi Regulator is now responsible for the first step for applications for small PSV licences. Please see www.spsvtest.ie for further details of the process.
- Carrying out technical examination of vehicles that are the subject of Garda investigation, such as fatal and serious injury traffic collisions and Garda fleet vehicles involved in road traffic accidents.
Vehicles registered with the Carriage Office (Dublin County) as of 1st January 2012:
- 11,669 Taxis
- 103 Hackenys
- 501 Wheelchair accessible taxis
- 340 Limousines
- 758 Large Public Service Vehicles
- 17,845 Small Public Service Driver Licences (for the Dublin area, these are held at the Carriage Office).
- 38,121 licensed PSV drivers are also registered countrywide, and records of all licences are maintained at local PSV Offices.
The Carriage Office has a staff of 5 - 1 Sergeant, 1 Garda and 3 clerical officers.
Contact Details for the Carriage Office:
The Carriage Office has re-located from Dublin Castle to The Garda Complex, Shanowen Road, Santry, Dublin 9.
Telephone contact numbers are:
General Office: +353 1 666 4115
+353 1 666 4116
+353 1 666 4117
Fax: +353 1 6664105
Public Opening hours:
Monday to Friday - 9.30am - 12.45pm and 2.00pm to 4.30pm
See also www.taxireg.ie for further information.