Gardaí in Galway are seeking the public’s assistance in locating missing person Stephen Cunningham.
Stephen was reported missing from his home in Tir na gCapaill, Ballybrit, Galway on 7 November 2021, by his mother who had not had contact with him since 29 October 2021.
Known Movements of Stephen:
- 5 November: Ballaghaderreen, Co. Roscommon where it is known that Stephen purchased fuel for his car, a silver VW Passat (reg 08-G-3521), at the time.
- Later the same day he was seen at a Londis store at Castlebar and at a service station, Belclare, Westport, Co. Mayo. It is thought that Stephen may have visited Croagh Patrick on this date.
- 6 November: There were further sightings of Stephen at Dunnes Stores, Briar Hill and very possibly on Middle St, Galway at approximately 3.30pm.
- 10 November: Stephen’s car was found near the N59 at Bunnakill, Maam Cross, Galway. Gardaí believe that the car had been parked there since Sunday November 7th and that it is possible that Stephen visited the pilgrimage spot of Mám Éan nearby. Despite extensive searches Stephen still hasn’t been located. His family remain extremely concerned for him for his safety and welfare.
Description of Stephen:
- - 32 years old, 6’2’’ with a broad build.
- - Blue eyes and short red hair.
- - At last sighting Stephen was wearing a beige coat, blue jeans with cuts at the knees and beige canvas shoes.
- Landowners and farmers throughout Connemara when walking or working their land to remain vigilant and alert to any trace of Stephen.
- To accommodation providers, particularly those near to The Western Way, to let us know if they know of any person matching Stephen’s description who availed of or enquired about accommodation.
- Those people returning to holiday homes or ordinarily vacant properties over the Christmas Period to let us know if they notice anything unusual such as an item of clothing or signs that someone may have camped nearby or took shelter.
- Gardaí expect that there will be more walkers and hikers in this area over the Christmas Holidays and we appeal to them to keep Stephen in mind and let us know if they see or find anything that may assist the searches.
- Finally Gardaí would like to appeal to the public in general. If you have any information in relation to Stephen’s disappearance please call.
Gardaí at Galway Garda Station, investigating tel: (091) 538 000