The Officers' Mess
History of the Officers' Club
The distinguished redbrick building which was formerly the Officers' Mess and is now the Officers' Club dates from 1863. The plans were drawn up by the noted 19th century architect Benjamin Woodward. Woodward’s work in Ireland includes the old library in Trinity College Dublin and the original Kildare Street Club.
Woodward's style is clearly evident although the curious animal carvings in Kildare Street were not repeated in his building in the Depot.
The mess had already been established in 1849 when the Inspector General of the Irish Constabulary, Colonel Mc Gregor, announced the grant of a sum sufficient for the first purchase of such plates, linen etc. as may be required for the Mess. The annual subscriptions for the various ranks were fixed at rates ranging from 10 shillings (50p) down to a modest florin (10p) for junior officers.
The Constabulary Depot now provided accommodation for 100 officers and 200 other ranks. In 1868 piped water was brought from the new reservoir in the mountains at Roundwood, Co. Wicklow, replacing the original supply from a local well.