Cookie Consent
We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we assume that you consent to our use of cookies on this device. You can change your cookie settings at any time but if you do, you may lose some functionality on our website.
Garda Confidential No.: 1 800 666 111



I have lost my passport. What do I do next?

If you have lost your passport, or if it has been stolen, you should immediately report the loss to the Passport Office or to your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate. To obtain a new passport you need to complete a passport application form [APS1 if resident in the State, APS2 if resident elsewhere]. This should be witnessed by a Member of An Garda Síochána if you are resident in the State or by one of the eligible witnesses listed on the APS2 form if you live elsewhere. For further information please visit the website of the Department of Foreign Affairs.


It is advisable to have a photocopy of your passport with you when travelling. This will greatly assist in getting an emergency passport if your passport is lost or stolen.