Functions of Garda HRM Division
Human Resource Management Functions
The HR Management Team consists of experienced and accredited professionals. Given the developmental role of Human Resources in modern organisations, the Team’s staff profile is constantly evolving in order to meet the challenges posed by external drivers for change and an increasingly technical working environment. A key aspect of this process is the integrated use of both Garda and Civilian staff with crucial HR skill sets and management qualifications.
An Garda Síochána’s vision ‘Excellent People Delivering Policing Excellence’ begins with effective recruitment. The process is then continued through:
• Specialist appointment
Garda HRM is constantly evolving through the development of a progressive HR Strategy and the increased use of technology and qualified professional staff.
Human Resource Management Functions
• Effective Recruitment: Recruitment of a full-time Garda service and the Garda Reserve. Recruiting excellent people to fulfil the Organisation's vision, Excellent People delivering Policing Excellence.
• Employee Movement: Allocation and transfers of staff to best facilitate the organisation’s business needs, taking into account the needs of individual members.
• Development of Secondment and Exchange programmes with foreign police services, to increase long- term organisational capacity and foster a progressive learning culture.
• Partnership: The Partnership Structures in An Garda Síochána enable Management, Staff and the Staff Associations to:-
1. Engage in a meaningful way in modernising An Garda Síochána through consultation, participation and cooperation,
2. Jointly own and implement the action plans as part of The Public Service Agreement 2010-2014,
3. Ensure a participative approach to resolving issues and challenges generally.
• Conciliation & Arbitration: The Conciliation and Arbitration scheme provides for the determination of claims and proposals relating to conditions of service for members of the ranks that the relevant Garda Staff Associations represent.
• Management Development: Garda HRM is proactive in providing information on important issues to Garda managers. As part of the ongoing commitment to organisational development, the use of seminars will be expanded in the future to ensure that operational managers on the ground are capable of addressing all necessary HRM issues.
• Career Development: One of the key responsibilities for Garda HRM Division is the selection of appropriate personnel for promotion. In recent years, the Organisation has developed a competency-based promotion system. It is vital that An Garda Síochána’s promotion process selects the best possible candidates in a clear and transparent manner. Only in these circumstances will An Garda Síochána ensure its future leadership capabilities.
• Student/Probationer Monitoring: Developing the best possible service by monitoring new Student and probationer Gardaí to ensure the highest standards of behaviour, work and service provision.
Strategic Human Resources
• Civilianisation: HRM has been vital to the implementation of the Civilianisation programme over the last decade. We continue to play an important role in supporting the Garda Civilian Human Resources Directorate.
Positive Working Environment
• Employee Assistance Service: Ensuring support for the welfare and health of all Garda Members and their families.
• Grievance and Bullying Policy: Supporting a positive working environment through our new and accredited bullying policy. Managing bullying cases to ensure fair and efficient investigations.
Garda HRM can be contacted at:
Human Resource Management